The Gimlet is a classic, easy, and refreshing gin cocktail anyone can make using only three ingredients. What makes it easier is that these are simple ingredients are things you should always have on hand for your home bar: gin, lime juice, simple syrup.
To make a classic Gimlet cocktail, you’ll need:
- 2 oz gin
- 3/4 oz fresh lime juice ( that concentrated stuff is no bueno)
- 3/4 oz simple syrup (because we like our cocktails sweet, but not too sweet)
- Chilled glass (most essential tip)
- Cocktail shaker
- Lime wheel for garnish
- Combine your gin, lime juice, and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Shake and strain the mixture into a chilled glass.
- Garnish with a lime wheel
And while this classic recipe is delicious on its own, my favorite modern variation is turning it into The Eastside Cocktail, a drink I loved drinking while living in New York City. This easy switch just adds mint and cucumber, giving an almost spa-like nod. A modern twist on a classic that is sure to impress.
To make The Eastside Cocktail, you’ll need:
- Muddled mint & cucumber (because we’re feeling fancy)
- Gimlet ingredients from above (2 oz gin, 3/4 oz fresh lime juice, & 3/4 oz simple syrup)
- A muddler & extra strainer to double strain (because nobody wants rogue mint leaves in their teeth)
- Add mint and cucumber to your shaker with a splash of simple syrup. Muddle the ingredients to release those flavors.
- Repeat the steps from the classic Gimlet recipe. Combine your gin, lime juice, and simple syrup in the mixer with the muddled mint and cucumber.
- Shake and then double strain it into a chilled glass.
- Garnish with a lime wheel, a cucumber ribbon, or a mint sprig
Enjoy this cocktail and full YouTube video below!