The Espresso Martini, also known as the Vodka Espresso is the perfect delicious cocktail for coffee and cocktail lovers alike.
Now before we dive into the recipe, I have a confession to make: I love Bravo TV! Give me the drama of any city’s Real Housewives and I’m one happy camper. During quarantine, I started watching a new show to me: Below Deck. Before I knew it I had caught up with every single episode, season, and spinoff. Throw me in Captain lee, I’m ready to be your Chief Stew!
The thing I noticed, besides of course the “quality television” was that for some reason, without fail, someone is ALWAYS drinking an Espresso Martini. Whether it was one of the charter guests or the entire crew partying on their nights off, it became almost comedic to see the recurring Espresso Martini in SOMEONE’S HAND!
So what is this cocktail!?
The story goes a famous model once walked into a bar and said, “I want a cocktail that’s going to wake me up and fuck me up.” Lucky for her, influential bartender Dick Bradsell (who also came up with my favorite cocktail ever The Bramble) heard this and the Espresso Martini was born!
For this cocktail, you’ll need:
- 2 oz vodka (or more if you’re feeling extra fancy)
- 1/2 an ounce of coffee liqueur (I prefer Mr. Black)
- 1/2 an ounce of simple syrup
- 1 oz of fresh brewed espresso
- Brew a shot of espresso and let it cool down to room temperature. (or if you don’t have a machine/tools on hand substitute coffee.)
- In a shaker filled with ice, add the vodka, coffee liqueur, simple syrup, and espresso.
- Shake until it is mixed, and frothy at the top.
- Strain the mixture into a chilled martini glass.
- Add some coffee beans (3 for luck) as a garnish.
After trying this cocktail for the first time, I understand why the Espresso Martini is so popular. It’s exactly what you think of: a boozy coffee cocktail. Approachable to those who want a classy pick me up or those who want to keep partying without crashing! A delicious cocktail that additionally gives you that extra jolt of energy you need to get through a Below Deck charter!
Enjoy full YouTube Video below!